Congratulations to Oregon for becoming the 25th state to join the Deficit Reduction Club by passing a state false claims act.
There is no need to speculate about the benefits Oregon will receive from this common-sense legislation–we have the examples of Virginia and 24 other states to guide us.
The Virginia Fraud Against Taxpayers Act became law on July 1, 2003. That same year, Virginia recovered $11.8 million in civil penalties and treble damages from dishonest healthcare providers. In FY06-07, by way of contrast, Virginia recovered $117 million, and for FY 07-08 Virginia recovered more than $450 million from dishonest healthcare providers.
- PRESIDENTIAL IMPEACHMENT PART II OF II: WHAT’S PAST IS PROLOGUE
- PRESIDENTIAL IMPEACHMENT AND LEGAL ETHICS: WHAT’S PAST IS PROLOGUE
- Justice Department Recovers over $3 Billion from False Claims Act Cases in Fiscal Year 2019
- The National Conference of State Legislatures Identifies the Top Ten Issues Facing State Governments in 2013…
- AND THE WINNER IS … MARK OBENSHAIN EMERGES AS THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE FOR ATTORNEY GENERAL
- Interesting Developments from the Virginia State Bar…a/k/a The Curious Case of Glenn Lewis